[GE users] installing sge master

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Mon Dec 15 16:44:16 GMT 2008

Prentice Bisbal wrote:
> Rafid Al-Khannak wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> no not even this one is working " $ ldd `which qmon` "
>
> Your syntax is wrong, you should be using single back quotes (`), not
> regular single-quotes ('). Depending on the font you are using when
> reading these e-mails, you not even see the difference, but your
> computer does. If you're using the bash shell, this syntax also works:
>
> ldd $(which qmon)
>
>> and i didn't udnerstand what do you mean by " Is the location of the
>> library in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH? "
>>

> LD_LIBRARY_PATH is an environment variable, similar to PATH, that is
> used by the runtime linker to find the correct shared libraries to use
> when loading a dynamically linked library. The value of this environment
> variable is a list of paths to look in for the .so files.

I forgot this earlier - if you install the openmotif packages that
should come with your distro, you shouldn't need to set/modify your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH. The libraries from distro packages usually get
installed in a location that is a default search path for that distro.

ld also has a config file which tells ld where to look for libraries
(again, this should be in the ld man page). On RHEL-based systems, that
file is /etc/ld.so.conf. May be in other places or have another name in
other distros.

--
Prentice