[GE users] installing sge master

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 15 18:02:08 GMT 2008

2008/12/15 Rafid Al-Khannak <alkhannak at googlemail.com>

> Dear all,
>
> no not even this one is working " $ ldd `which qmon` "

This is actually quite a complicated command.
Let's start at the beginning.
Type the command      which qmon
which is a command that will display the complete path to a command, in your
current session.
If you do not get anything back from  which qmon  we have to investigate
further.

ldd is a command which prints the shared libraries used by an executable
(here, qmon should be an executable file)

Let us say that which qmon  returns
/usr/local/sge/bin/sol64/qmom

Then you run please:

ldd /usr/local/sge/bin/sol64/qmon

The ` ` syntax is the smart part of the first command - and you strictly
don't need to use it,
as you can split the command up into two commands, as we have just done.
The ` ` syntax means   'please run the command between the ` `
and then feed the result to the first command outside the ` `