[GE users] installing sge master

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Tue Dec 16 13:34:58 GMT 2008

Rafid Al-Khannak wrote:
> Dear Prentice and All,
>
> Thanks about all the instruction about which qmon and the others it was
> working.
>
> i already installed openmotif even before writting the email but the
> package ( " openmotif-2.1.32-2_IST.i586.rpm
> <http://www.ist.co.uk/DOWNLOADS/motif_files/openmotif-2.1.32-2_IST.i586.rpm> "
> from this link
> http://www.ist.co.uk/DOWNLOADS/motif_download.html) didn't contain
> libXm.so.3 so i was searching for libXm.so.3 because that was the
> problem (from the output i got) and i found a package it should work
> with my linux os ( " openmotif22-libs-2.2.4-84.i586.rpm
> <ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/opensuse/distribution/10.3/repo/oss/suse/i586/openmotif22-libs-2.2.4-84.i586.rpm> "
> from this
> link http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=libXm.so.3) and
> i copied libXm.so.3 at the same place where i copied libXm.so.2 and
> libXm.so.2.1 but when i wrote         ldd $(which qmon)      it shows me
> that all libraries except for libXm.so.3 it shows not found
>
> could it be that the package i downloaded is not working with my os?
> or how to download this libXm.so.3? or how to copy it (because i
> followed the instruction in
> http://wikis.sun.com/display/GridEngine/Other+Installation+Issues#OtherInstallationIssues-VerifyingandInstallingLinuxMotifLibraries)
>
> oh and by the way when i tried to extract the file from the above
> instruction it wasn't working (it tells me that this file cannot be
> relocated) so i right click on the file and extract here but i copied
> libXm.so.3 using the instruction and it was working could that be a
> problem i also extract it in another place not /tmp/test (i'm only
> talking about the second package with the libXm.so.3)
>
> regards,
> rafid

Rafid,

Whenever possible, you should always install the RPM built and provided
by your distro vendor over one you find using rpmfind.net, this will
guarantee that it will work properly with your distro. You can't just
install any OpenMotif package from rpmfind. You must make sure its for
your distro - right down to the exact version.

The best way to make sure you are using the right RPM is to use your
distro's package management system. For Red Hat-based systems, yum is
preferred command for this these days.

I suggest you read the documentation for your distro and learn how to
use it's package management system. Again, this is something that will
save you lots of time and effort in the future.

--
Prentice