[GE users] Unexpected Good Results Installing SGE 6.2 on Mac OSX 10.5.6

Jon Forrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Tue Dec 16 18:38:03 GMT 2008

A research group I work for has 8 high-end Mac Pros that
the group members use as desktop machines, plus one Mac Pro
running OS X server. My goal is to install SGE onto the
Macs so that they act like a normal HPC cluster.

I did my research first so I learned about the need to use launchd.
I also read many of the fine pages describing the issues that
others have had trying to install SGE on OS X 10.5.

I started with the binaries from
http://cds-esd.sun.com/ESD46/GridEngine/OpenSource/ge62_darwin-x86.tar.gz
As a first step, I installed SGE onto the server and
one of the desktop Macs. They were both running 10.5.5.
Sure enough, I hit the unrecognized user problem that was
mentioned on http://wiki.gridengine.info/wiki/index.php/GridEngine_launchd
and other pages.

Just for yuks, when Mac OS 10.5.6 was released yesterday, I updated the
Macs I had been using for this experiment to this new version. I removed
the previous SGE installation and then installed SGE just the way I had
before. To my utter amazement the unrecognized user problem no longer
occurs. I was even able to successfully run the simple.sh and the worker.sh programs
from the examples directory.

I don't claim to be any kind of Mac OS X expert. In particular, I don't
understand how using launchd is different that what was used before.
So, I haven't messed around with SGE startup commands. But, the fact that
SGE, when started during the install process, was able to run jobs after
the OS update that it wasn't able to run before makes we wonder whether
the OS update fixed whatever was causing the problem that so many people
were facing.

Is anybody else seeing any changes with how SGE works
on Mac OS X 10.5.6?

Cordially,

--
Jon Forrest