[GE users] env variables usage question

Henry, Mark Patrick mark.p.henry at hp.com
Tue Dec 16 19:13:16 GMT 2008

Hi All,

Can't find a clear explanation on this in the manuals or online.. I'd appreciate any help.

I'm trying to use shell env. variables in a sge script, including the parameter variables ($* etc) when submitted via qsub or a qrsh batch submission and its not working as I would expect, or at all in fact.

For example,

-- submission cmd --

qrsh -V -now -q queue1 -b n ./myscript arg1 arg2

--- myscript --

#!/usr/bin/ksh

# Send mail to these users
#$ -M $LOGNAME at mailserver.local.com

# Mail at beginning/end/on suspension
#$ -m bes

# auto-name the job based on params
#$ -N "$LOGNAME: first: $1, second: $2"

# pass on all the args to the actual build script
build_script $*

So, pretty simple.. I just want to pass through some parameters from the user cmd submission into the script and on to the actual build script later.  Also, I'd like to be able to use other vars in the users environment to give a customized email message while having a single script for everyone.

It seems that -V would be the mechanism to do this, but it doesn't seem to fly.  Running GE v6.1

If there are any alternate suggestions too, that'd be appreciated.

Many thanks,

-Mark