[GE users] Allocate cores in the same enclosure

Gerald Ragghianti geri at utk.edu
Tue Dec 16 20:57:58 GMT 2008

Hi Sofia,
Yes, I think that the solution described at
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=38&dsMessageId=21159
is correct for your case.  We have a similar situation where we need to
group nodes according to which backend interconnect they use.  This
solution does work, but you will need to make sure that the queu
instances for each node are included in the two cluster queues that you
created (one queue for each PE that you have).

- Gerald

Sofia Bassil wrote:
> Hi Chris and thanks for the reply. I will gladly supply configuration
> information, but my first question is if this solution is even relevant
> for my problem?
>
> //Sofia
>

> craffi skrev:
>
>> 2 questions --
>>
>>   - What is the output of "qstat -f" ?
>>   - Have you attached the PE's to any queues?
>>
>> -Chris
>>

>> On Dec 15, 2008, at 10:53 AM, Sofia Bassil wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am trying to set up a node allocation scheme depending on network
>>> layout, following this thread:
>>> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=38&dsMessageId=21153
>>>
>>> I can't get it to work even though I have the same configuration as
>>> far
>>> as I can see. I am not using the same version of Grid Engine though, I
>>> am using GE 6.1u4.
>>>
>>> My cluster basically consists of a few blade enclosures and I want
>>> it to
>>> be possible to ask for cores in one enclosure, so that you can utilize
>>> the better banwidth within the enclosure. My plan is to set up all
>>> enclosures with one hostgroup, one queue, and one pe each, like in the
>>> example.
>>>
>>> When I run a job like this:
>>> $ qsub -pe "test*" 1 ./testSub.sh
>>> I get the error:
>>> cannot run in PE "test_1" because it only offers 0 slots
>>> cannot run in PE "test_2" because it only offers 0 slots
>>>
>>> My first question is, is it still possible to configure this (in my
>>> version and in 6.2)?
>>> My second question is, for my problem, is this the right solution?
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>> Sofia Bassil

Gerald Ragghianti
IT Administrator - High Performance Computing
http://hpc.usg.utk.edu/
Office of Information Technology
University of Tennessee
Phone: 865-974-2448