[GE users] Allocate cores in the same enclosure

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Dec 17 16:15:08 GMT 2008

Hi Sofia,

Am 17.12.2008 um 16:45 schrieb Sofia Bassil:

> Using one queue the way you specified makes my job run, and it
> allocated cores correctly. Thank you! Plus its a slimmer solution
> whose configuration is easier to read. Very nice!
> The fact that it works with one queue but not two, is that a
> difference in the versions of Grid Engine? Is it supposed to work
> with 2 queues as well in 6.1?

yes, it should work in the same way. It's only a condensed setup. So
I still have no clue about your former problem. The # you entered
also there, or was it only an email edit?

> The 24 was a result of sloppy copying.
>
> A follow up question:
> Is there a way to allocate jobs first in one hostgroup, and then in
> another. Say I have 3 blade enlosures with 8 machines with 4 CPU:s
> in each. Enclosure 1 and 2 are right next to each other while
> enclosure 3 is in another location. I want my job to run on 40
> cores with as high bandwidth as possible. Can I somehow, using this
> same solution you have helped me with, get the scheduler to
> allocate all the 32 cores in enclosure 1 and then allocate the
> remaining 8 requested cores in enclosure 2? Or is there some other
> way of doing this?

Yes, just define an additonal hostgroup with this all 16 machines
included and attach a third PE only to this hostgroup. Just use a
different name, which can't be reached by the former "test*".