[Hedeby dev] [GE dev] Trying to build hedeby 1.0u2

easymf michal.bachorik at sun.com
Fri Dec 19 23:49:51 GMT 2008

Small explanation below

opoplawski wrote:
> zwierzak wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just published hedeby sources on hedeby sunsource web page. In the common
>> place where you can find our tar balls with sources.
>>
>> (List of available tar balls)
>> http://hedeby.sunsource.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=31
>>
>> (Link to the u2 file)
>> http://hedeby.sunsource.net/files/documents/73/193/hedeby-source_V10_U2_TAG.tar.gz
>>
>> Enjoy playing with the code and building the project :)
>>

> thanks, that looks like a proper package and builds fine.
>
> I've got a naming question.  I'm packaging this up for eventual
> inclusion into Fedora, but wondering what to call it.  I originally
> named the package "gridengine-sdm".  Now it seems to be taking on the
> project name "hedeby", which seems confusing at best since no files are
> named "hedeby" - the command is "sdmadm".  So I'm leaning towards
> keeping the "gridengine-sdm" name, but I'm wondering if this software is
> useful without gridengine.

SDM stands for "Service Domain Manager" which is currently bundled with
Sun Gridengine and is supported by Sun Microsystems.
Hedeby is just a project codename for SDM - thus you can download
sources from hedeby.sunsource.net, built it on your own but there is no
support offered from Sun.

The software is eventually useful without gridengine (there is API to
extend to functionality beyond Gridengine integration) but currently we
offer out-of-box only integration with Gridengine.
If you want to port packages to Fedora, each official SDM release
contains RPM packages so maybe they will save you some time (current
version of SDM is 1.0u2, 1.0u3 is planned for release in near future).
Regarding names, both "gridengine-sdm" or "sdm" sounds reasonable.

Regards,

Michal