[GE users] H_vmem question

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Dec 22 22:57:12 GMT 2008

Hi,

Am 22.12.2008 um 23:36 schrieb udo:

> A simple question:
>
> Objection: I want to avoid to use swap space on compute nodes.
>
> I have  8 core Xeon machines with 8 GB of RAM on each and 4 GB of
> swap i.e.
> total 12 GB of virtual memory.
>
> So, what should I put in "Limits"
>
> 1) h_vmem = 8GB meaning total on a node or
>
> 2) h_vmem = 1GB meaning each process should take not more than 1GB
> i.e. 1GB
> x 8 (core) = 8GB per node.
>
> Thank you very much for any valuable answer.

a) make h_vmem consumable in `qconf -mc`

b) give it a proper default value in `qconf -mc` which each process
will get, unless the user requets something else, e.g. 1GB

c) for each exec host `qconf -me <nodename>` define "complex_values
h_vmem=8GB", i.e. the physical memory: so max 8GB could be requested
in total on each node for all jobs running there at the same time

d) optional: in the queue definition `qconf -mq <qname>` you can
define an upper limit for each process (in case you need a lower
limit than the defined 8GB in the exechost definition), e.g
h_vmem=6GB to avoid that already one job would consume all the memory

Summary

default: 1GB
users can request up to: 6GB
total available per node: 8GB

Be aware that h_vmem is an enforced limit and jobs will get killed
when they exceed this limit. You might also want to switch on
resource reservation and submit jobs with "qsub -R y ...".