[GE users] Scheduler Configuration

Mark Dixon m.c.dixon at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Dec 23 09:03:31 GMT 2008

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008, Robert Healey wrote:
>> This is the intended behavior. It just allocates slots where they are
>> available.
>
> I'll see the job splitting even when I have fully idle nodes, I'd prefer
> it to only double up when jobs require partial nodes, to try and
> maximize the number of cores busy.

Did you try allocating a different seq_no for each queue instance, as I
suggested in an earlier post?

seq_no 45,[node001=46],[node00=47],...

With 6.0, I found it very important to give every queue instance a unique
seq_no. The same may be true with 6.2.

> One of my hosts that's currently running eight jobs from the serial
> queue (seq no 45) and the parellel queue (seq no 50).  The parallel job
> started > 12h before the serial jobs did.
>> You could in addition supply sequence numbers in opposite direction
>> for the serial and parallel queue, so that the serial jobs will fill
>> the cluster from the one side, and parallel ones from the other side.
>>
>> seq_no 0,[node001=1],[node00=2],...
>>
>> seq_no 0,[node500=1],[node499=2],...

Preventing serial and parallel jobs to mix on a host at the same time (is
this what you are trying to achieve?) remains an unsolved problem in SGE,
although Reuti's solution above will work for clusters that are not full
all the time (but I maintain that you might have more luck with unique
seq_no's).

I've yet to look at it closely, but I have hopes that the new features in
6.2u2(beta) will allow some cluster-specific scripts to improve
scheduling.

Mark
Mark Dixon                       Email    : m.c.dixon at leeds.ac.uk
HPC/Grid Systems Support         Tel (int): 35429
Information Systems Services     Tel (ext): +44(0)113 343 5429
University of Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK