[GE users] Scheduler Configuration

Robert Healey healer at rpi.edu
Tue Dec 23 16:22:22 GMT 2008

Mark Dixon wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2008, Robert Healey wrote:
<snip>

> Did you try allocating a different seq_no for each queue instance, as I
> suggested in an earlier post?

Each queue defined in qconf has a unique sequence number for it.  The
queues I want to have higher priority for free cpus have lower numbers.

> seq_no 45,[node001=46],[node00=47],...
>
> With 6.0, I found it very important to give every queue instance a unique
> seq_no. The same may be true with 6.2.

<snip>

> Preventing serial and parallel jobs to mix on a host at the same time (is
> this what you are trying to achieve?) remains an unsolved problem in SGE,
> although Reuti's solution above will work for clusters that are not full
> all the time (but I maintain that you might have more luck with unique
> seq_no's).
>
> I've yet to look at it closely, but I have hopes that the new features in
> 6.2u2(beta) will allow some cluster-specific scripts to improve
> scheduling.
>
> Mark

More of a case of I've got 100 free machines, I submit a 40 proc job,
and I'm on 6 hosts, with the hosts not fully utilized because it fill
the partially loaded nodes first.

--
Bob Healey
Systems Administrator