[GE users] Scheduler Configuration

Robert Healey healer at rpi.edu
Tue Dec 23 16:54:06 GMT 2008

I defined all host configs before I opened the cluster to users.  The
reason for the low load average is the parallel users are not submitting
  anything until I solve the problem, so I've been submitting mpirun
/bin/sleep 1200 to the queue.  Removing my parallel sleep from the
queue, slots goes back to 2 with 6 serial jobs running on the node. My
job was submitted using $fill_up for PE allocation.

reuti wrote:
> Am 23.12.2008 um 17:16 schrieb Robert Healey:
>
>> reuti wrote:
>>> Am 23.12.2008 um 09:44 schrieb Robert Healey:
>>>
>> <snip>
>>> Is "qhost -F" showing negative values for the slots entry?
>>>
>>> -- Reuti
>>>

>> <snip>
>>
>> Its currently showing -6 slots remaining.
>>

>> compute-8-24.local      lx24-amd64      8  6.00    7.8G  377.8M
>> 8.0G
>>      0.0
>>     hl:arch=lx24-amd64
>>     hl:num_proc=8.000000
>>     hl:mem_total=7.799G
>>     hl:swap_total=7.997G
>>     hl:virtual_total=15.797G
>>     hl:load_avg=6.000000
>>     hl:load_short=6.000000
>>     hl:load_medium=6.000000
>>     hl:load_long=5.930000
>>     hl:mem_free=7.430G
>>     hl:swap_free=7.997G
>>     hl:virtual_free=15.428G
>>     hl:mem_used=377.828M
>>     hl:swap_used=0.000
>>     hl:virtual_used=377.828M
>>     hl:cpu=75.200000
>>     hl:np_load_avg=0.750000
>>     hl:np_load_short=0.750000
>>     hl:np_load_medium=0.750000
>>     hl:np_load_long=0.741250
>>     hc:slots=-6.000000
>
> Then the internal accouting got out of sync. After all processes left
> the node it should normalize.  Did you define the exechost slots
> value while jobs were already in the system?
>
> One strange thing I notice is the load: with in total 8+6=14 running,
> the lioad should be much higher.
>
> -- Reuti

Bob Healey
Systems Administrator