[GE users] Getting exclusive use of a node

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Dec 23 16:55:02 GMT 2008

Am 23.12.2008 um 17:19 schrieb Prentice Bisbal:

> I think this question has been asked and answered not too long ago on
> this list. However, when I search the archives I can't find the
> answer.
> I could be using the wrong search terms. Sorry if I'm repeating a
> question.
>
> On my cluster, some users would like to use OpenMP within a node, and
> then MPI for internode communications. To take full advantage of this,
> they would like to request exclusive use of a node for their jobs, so
> they can use all the RAM on the node. In PBS/Torque, you'd do this
> with
> '-l ppn=1', or something like that.
>
> What is the best way to do this in SGE? Does SGE have similar ppn=x
> syntax, or do I need to create another (superordinate) queue where
> each
> node has only a single slot?

> Would requesting all the RAM for the node
> in qsub command work?

Yes, this would work - but mostly for allocation rule $pe_losts. If
you need more than one node you still might get a mixture of slots.
But you could define a fixed allocation rule, means defining
"allocation_rule 8" and requesting a multiple of 8 for your jobs (or
use any other number of installed cores to define it in the
allocation_rule).