[GE users] Private networks in SGE 6.2

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Dec 25 13:58:27 GMT 2008

Am 24.12.2008 um 17:38 schrieb Cristofer Reyes Aguilera:

> Can I have two qmaster hosts? My idea is that in the private network
> the public host will be the qmaster, so, this qmaster know the public
> hosts in the other network, but what happend in this last network?
> this hosts don't see the private hosts, only the qmaster.
>
> My scheme is like follow:
>
> Private network
> =============
>
> Node1.1 (public and qmaster)
> |

> ----node1.2 (private, qexecd)
> ----node1.3 (private, qexecd)
> ----node1.4 (private, qexecd)
>

> Public network
> =============
>
> Node2.1 (qmaster)
> |

> ----node2.2 (public, qexecd)
> ----node2.3 (public, qexecd)
> ----node2.4 (public, qexecd)
>

> I need run a job  in all computers (1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4)
> like a single cluster.
> How could node2.X comunicate with node1.X ?

This is up to you. If you need communcation between the two networks
for parallel jobs, then you have to intall a proper routing in
node1.1, i.e. you can't use NAT as then all node1.x nodes would be
hidden. They need an unique address under which they can be reached
from the outside world, rendering the private cluster setup a little
bit useless. When the parallel jobs stay in each subcluster, then the
private network doesn't need to be exposed to the outside world, as
the qmaster can already talk to all nodes and the setup is much more
straight forward.

When you have setup this, you can install SGE. You need only one
qmaster on node1.1. The node 2.1 seems not to be necessary at all
this way. Just give each interface in node1.1 a different name, so
that the one on which the qmaster is running can be address
unambiguously from all nodes.