[GE users] Queuing Jobs

Michael van Elst mlelstv at serpens.de
Mon Dec 29 10:18:33 GMT 2008

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 01:07:05PM -0800, tcheard wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem with queuing of jobs. When I add more jobs than the grid has slots, I expect the grid to put jobs, that are needing open slots, in some sort of waiting queue. But when I do add jobs over the amount of slots using qrsh (I haven't tried it using any other submiting method) it doesn't queue them it just returns a line saying:
>
> Your "qrsh" request could not be scheduled, try again later.

qrsh is usually used for interactive jobs where you are not
expecting it to wait. You can enable waiting with the option
'-now no'.

Submitting a job for (possibly later) execution is usually done
with qsub. Unlike qrsh the job will be run independent of your
shell, there is no standard input and output is redirected to a file.

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv at serpens.de