[GE users] Help: Slots Problem

Ravi Chandra Nallan Ravichandra.Nallan at Sun.COM
Sun Jan 6 10:58:38 GMT 2008

 refer to man qsub -pe option,
          The range specification is a list of range  expressions
          of the form "n-m", where n and m are positive, non-zero
          integers.  The form "n" is equivalent  to  "n-n".   The
          form  "-m"  is  equivalent  to "1-m".  The form "n-" is
          equivalent to "n-infinity".  The range specification is
          processed  as  follows:  The  largest  number of queues
          requested is checked first. If  enough  queues  meeting
          the  specified  attribute  list  are available, all are
          allocated. If not, the next smaller number of queues is
          checked, and so forth.

In your case the cluster is able to serve a 8 slot pe job hence the job
b gets 8 slots too.
To notice the difference, try to make the cluster short of pe slots so
that job 'b' would run even if it finds 6 or 7 or 8 slots, whereas for
job 'a' 8 slots is a hard requirement.
regards,
~Ravi