[GE users] qmaster doesn't start on amd64

Davide Cittaro davide.cittaro at ifom-ieo-campus.it
Mon Jan 7 09:50:53 GMT 2008

Hi all, I'm upgrading to 6.1u3 from 6.0u8. I've done with all steps
but qmaster refuses to start on master node

    starting sge_qmaster

sge_qmaster didn't start!
Please check the messages file

    starting sge_schedd
error: can't resolve hostname "special"
error: can't resolve hostname "special"
error: can't resolve hostname "special"
error: can't resolve hostname "special"
error: can't get configuration from qmaster -- backgrounding
    starting sge_shadowd
reresolve hostname failed: can't resolve host name

Command failed: ./bin/lx26-amd64/qconf -sc

Probably a permission problem. Please check file access permissions.
Check read/write permission. Check if SGE daemons are running.

Ok, I'm going to debug it, but on the other hand I should say that
directories are configured in the same way (permissions...) on all
cluster nodes. Guess what? I've configured BDB spooling and I've
changed the act_qmaster to another server (not amd64, but ia64) and it
starts...

    starting sge_qmaster
    starting sge_schedd
starting up GE 6.1u3 (lx26-ia64)
    found running sge_shadowd - not starting

can anybody help? I just would like to know what to debug first :-)

/*
Davide Cittaro
HPC and Bioinformatics Systems @ Informatics Core

IFOM - Istituto FIRC di Oncologia Molecolare
via adamello, 16
20139 Milano
Italy

tel.: +39(02)574303007