[GE users] Memory leak in 6.1u2 ?

Tue Jan 8 16:07:10 GMT 2008

Hi Richard,

the attachement went through and by combining Caller-adresses
with information from nm(1) I can even assign where the memory drops
were allocated. Unfortunately it unveils me not more than that it
was allocated by lCreateElem() and lCreateList() standard functions.
For finding the leak this information is as valuable as knowing the
memory was allocated through malloc().

Actually what I need to know is the stack trace of each lost memory
drop, but that information is not provided by GNU malloc library.
That means mtrace is generally not usable for hunting leaks.

Regards,
Andreas

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008, Richard Ems wrote:

> Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM wrote:
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> 1.2 GB is too big for an attachement. Please try to run it with the
>> mtrace(3) utility. It does a data-condensing preprocessing and should be
>> available on all Linuxes.
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
> I'm not sending 1.2 GB per email !!!
> I already run the mtrace utility and it produced a very long output file:
>
> c3m:~ # l -h mtrace.dat
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 319M 2008-01-08 12:14 mtrace.dat
>
> c3m:~ # wc -l mtrace.dat
> 7948160 mtrace.dat
>

> I was trying to send "just" the first 10000 lines, the email is about
> 566 KB. How big can an attachment/mail be on this list?
>
> I'm sending now the first 1000 lines.
>
> regards, Richard
>
> --
> Richard Ems       mail: Richard.Ems at Cape-Horn-Eng.com
>
> Cape Horn Engineering S.L.
> C/ Dr. J.J. Dómine 1, 5? piso
> 46011 Valencia
> Tel : +34 96 3242923 / Fax 924