[GE users] Memory leak in 6.1u2 ?

Wed Jan 9 09:48:07 GMT 2008

Hi Richard,

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008, Richard Ems wrote:

> Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM wrote:
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> the attachement went through and by combining Caller-adresses
>> with information from nm(1) I can even assign where the memory drops
>> were allocated. Unfortunately it unveils me not more than that it was
>> allocated by lCreateElem() and lCreateList() standard functions.
>> For finding the leak this information is as valuable as knowing the
>> memory was allocated through malloc().
>>
>> Actually what I need to know is the stack trace of each lost memory
>> drop, but that information is not provided by GNU malloc library.
>> That means mtrace is generally not usable for hunting leaks.
>
> How should I proceed next time the leak appears?
> Could the output of " strace -p `pidof sge_schedd` " be of any help?

No. strace is not capable to find leaks.

> Other ideas?

I just tried running the 6.1u2 scheduler on a RHEL4 machine under valgrind
leak tracer. It appears it works with regular SGE binaries and provides
*adequate* information (i.e. call stack) about leaks!

Find attached the output of two valgrind sessions. The first one is
a scheduler run (with SGE_ND set in environment as to prevent daemonizing)
where I let schedd dispatch a couple of sequential and parallel jobs before I
shut it down with qconf -ks from a second console. It unveils one possible leak,
but not during regular operation. The second is the run of a small test program
(attached) that has a memory leak. I used it to double-check stack trace
information is provided in case of leaks.

A colleague told me valgrind is covered in many Linux distributions.

Regards,
Andreas

> Thanks, Richard
>

> --
> Richard Ems       mail: Richard.Ems at Cape-Horn-Eng.com
>
> Cape Horn Engineering S.L.
> C/ Dr. J.J. Dómine 1, 5? piso
> 46011 Valencia
> Tel : +34 96 3242923 / Fax 924

<°)))><

http://gridengine.info/

Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028

    [ Part 2, ""  Text/PLAIN (Name: "test.c") 23 lines. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]

    [ Part 3: "Attached Text" ]