[GE users] SGE startup oddness

James Gibbon james.gibbon at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Jan 9 14:38:31 GMT 2008

Hi,

I've taken over the administration of a Sun Grid Engine cluster, running
across a number of Linux boxes.

It's been pretty painless so far, but all of a sudden I can't get the
sgemaster service to start, on the queue master:

root at linux6:/etc/init.d# ./sgemaster
   starting sge_qmaster

sge_qmaster didn't start!
Please check the messages file

   starting sge_schedd
error: commlib error: can't connect to service (Connection refused)
error: getting configuration: unable to send message to qmaster using port 701 on host "linux6": got send error
error: can't get configuration from qmaster -- backgrounding
root at linux6:/etc/init.d#

I'd love to check the messages file, but all occurrences of files
named 'messages' anywhere under $SGE_ROOT have last modification times
in 2006.

.. tried rebooting the master, no joy.

I'm new to this so may have missed something obvious. Any ideas?

Thanks,
James