[GE users] SGE startup oddness

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Wed Jan 9 14:45:45 GMT 2008

> It's been pretty painless so far, but all of a sudden I can't get the
> sgemaster service to start, on the queue master:
>
> root at linux6:/etc/init.d# ./sgemaster
>    starting sge_qmaster
>
> sge_qmaster didn't start!
> Please check the messages file

I've seen something like this with an older version. Some of the files
written in the jobs/ and job_scripts/ dirs were apparently corrupt. When the
qmaster restarted and tried to re-establish these jobs it would fail.
Removing the files and thus releasing these running jobs from the GridEngine
control helped get things going again.

Something like this may (or may not) help you.

/mark
serves as marking of its ?Confidential? status as defined
message from your computer.