[GE users] Re: SGE startup oddness

James Gibbon james.gibbon at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Jan 9 16:17:17 GMT 2008

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 10:21:07 -0500
"Rayson Ho" <rayrayson at gmail.com> wrote:

> You can set the env var SGE_ND to tell SGE daemons not to daemonize.
>
> With that set and starting SGE interactively, I believe you can at
> least get some warning/error messages, and also get the exit code from
> qmaster.

Hi Rayson,

Thanks for that - that has indeed yielded some useful information:

root at linux6:/home/pipelines/SunGE# export SGE_ND=1
root at linux6:/home/pipelines/SunGE# ./bin/lx24-amd64/
qacct           qhold           qmod            qrls            qstat           sge_execd       sge_shadowd
qalter          qhost           qmon            qrsh            qsub            sgepasswd       sge_shepherd
qconf           qlogin          qping           qselect         qtcsh           sge_qmaster
qdel            qmake           qresub          qsh             sge_coshepherd  sge_schedd
root at linux6:/home/pipelines/SunGE# ./bin/lx24-amd64/sge_qmaster
error: can't open heartbeat file "heartbeat": Permission denied
error: can't open "/home/pipelines/SunGE/linux/common/act_qmaster" for writing qmaster hostname: Permission denied

.. now, since I'm running as root I assume that an SGE-specific user is having
difficulty writing to these files. For now I've despicably hacked the perms to 666
to get things working again, but any thoughts as to why permissions might have
changed are welcome.

Thanks again,
James