[GE users] Memory leak in 6.1u2 ?

Tue Jan 15 18:09:51 GMT 2008

Hi Richard,

actually when I tested valgrind (version 3.2.3) with schedd I could stop it
with a simple qconf -ks.

Could you file an issue to

    http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ProjectIssues

and describe in detail the setup and the case where you observe the leak?
Please add sample configurations of queues, hosts, PE, scheduler configuration
and also the accounting.

Regards,
Andreas

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Richard Ems wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> the memory leak is there again, and now I'm trying to use valgrind, but
> without success. 8(
> The problem seems to be, that I cannot make sge_schedd to end without killing
> it using SIGKILL (kill -9 ...), SIGTERM or qconf -ks don't stop the
> scheduler.
> And it's eating up to over 3 GB memory on this 4 GB memory system and it does
> not end.
>
> After killing it with "kill -9", I get no more output that

> # cat valgrind-sge_schedd-debug.out
> ==2897== Memcheck, a memory error detector.
> ==2897== Copyright (C) 2002-2007, and GNU GPL'd, by Julian Seward et al.
> ==2897== Using LibVEX rev 1732, a library for dynamic binary translation.
> ==2897== Copyright (C) 2004-2007, and GNU GPL'd, by OpenWorks LLP.
> ==2897== Using valgrind-3.2.3, a dynamic binary instrumentation framework.
> ==2897== Copyright (C) 2000-2007, and GNU GPL'd, by Julian Seward et al.
> ==2897== For more details, rerun with: -v
> ==2897==
> starting up GE 6.1u2 (lx24-amd64)
>
> in the valgrind output file, since I am killing valgrind!
> Is there a way to stop the scheduler in another way without having to kill
> valgrind ?
>
> If I don't kill it, at some point valgrind ends itself with

> Valgrind's memory management: out of memory:
>   newSuperblock's request for 1048576 bytes failed.
>   5026193408 bytes have already been allocated.
> Valgrind cannot continue.  Sorry.
>
> See appended files from 2 valgrind runs.
>
> regards, Richard
>

> --
> Richard Ems       mail: Richard.Ems at Cape-Horn-Eng.com
>
> Cape Horn Engineering S.L.
> C/ Dr. J.J. Dómine 1, 5? piso
> 46011 Valencia
> Tel : +34 96 3242923 / Fax 924