[GE users] What does the definition of slots for a cluster queue mean?

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Jan 16 19:00:35 GMT 2008

Hi Craig,

In SGE 6 and later we now have to distinguish between "cluster queue"
and "queue instance".

The "cluster queue" is used to refer to the queues that span many
machines (all.q for instance)
The "queue instance" refers to the specific instance on a certain
machine (all.q at node001 for instance)

So to answer your question:

  - You will have 32 slots in your cluster or "cluster queue"
  - You'll have 2 slots by default in each of your queue instances

Slots can be defined at the cluster queue level and also at the
machine level. At the cluster queue level the slot count refers to the
total number of job slots available. At the queue instance level it
refers to the slots that are available just at the local machine.

Globally speaking people will understand you if you talk about having
32 job slots in your cluster.

Regards,
Chris