[GE users] GE and Ant

Petr Jung Petr.Jung at Sun.COM
Thu Jan 17 11:27:56 GMT 2008

Hi Chris
This is a nice idea to have ant version for submitting jobs. I have
never heard about an existing SGE-ANT implementation.
One thing is to have sge version of exec, which start whatever job using
qsub
without any synchronization capabilities and limited input/output. This
is just about how much options this task will support.
Another thing is the sge-for  version with sequential sections executed
by ant on the other hosts and able to wait for execution of all tiers
and collecting
the inputs and outputs. This will be much complicated and depends on
running environment.

What version do you need?
If you need more complicated version. Do you have common file system
available on all hosts?
If you have no common file system. How to map the job outputs back to
parent ant task?
So let me know, If we can go ahead and find suitable solution.

Petr

Christopher Heiny napsal(a):
> Background: We're using Apache Ant to manage our simulations.  With 150
> simulations of an hour each, this is not currently a fast running
> system.  I'm building a grid engine to help parallelize the
> simulations.  I'd like to continue using Ant to manage the the
> simulations, but would like the differences between the grid and
> non-grid invocation to be as minimal as possible from the user point of
> view (that is, the command line and outputs should be minimally
> different; the guts of build.xml can be quite different).
>
> Question: Are there any Ant tasks for working with Grid Engine?  For
> instance, an extension of <exec> which uses qsub, or maybe something
> like the AntContrib project's <for> task which can submit tasks in
> parallel, or possibly other interesting GE related tasks.
>
> I'm happy to go off and write my own if these don't exist, but at the
> same time hate to re-invent wheels that are already there.

    [ Part 2: "Attached Text" ]