[GE users] GE and Ant

Fri Jan 18 08:32:22 GMT 2008

Making task launches through SGE optional is needed at all
events, if it shall be used by a broader audience. Actually we
did something similar with qtcsh(1)

    http://gridengine.sunsource.net/nonav/source/browse/~checkout~/gridengine/doc/htmlman/htmlman1/qtcsh.html

I'm not sure however whether use of DRMAA suffices: Note, DRMAA does
not give you output redirection. This one gets only with qrsh(1). For
that reason it is used by qtcsh(1) and qmake(1) for launching tasks.

Regards,
Andreas

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Christopher Heiny wrote:

> On Thursday 17 January 2008, ground control picked up the following
> transmission from Petr Jung:
>> Hi Chris
>> This is a nice idea to have ant version for submitting jobs. I have
>> never heard about an existing SGE-ANT implementation.
>> One thing is to have sge version of exec, which start whatever job
>> using qsub
>> without any synchronization capabilities and limited input/output.
>> This is just about how much options this task will support.
>> Another thing is the sge-for  version with sequential sections
>> executed by ant on the other hosts and able to wait for execution of
>> all tiers and collecting
>> the inputs and outputs. This will be much complicated and depends on
>> running environment.
>>
>> What version do you need?
>> If you need more complicated version. Do you have common file system
>> available on all hosts?
>> If you have no common file system. How to map the job outputs back to
>> parent ant task?
>> So let me know, If we can go ahead and find suitable solution.
>>
>> Petr
>
> We've got a common file system on all the GE cluster elements.
>
> After poking around inside <for> and <exec>, I think the solution might
> be to make <exec> capable of using DRMAA as a launcher to submit the
> job.  You'd probably want this to be an optional thing (maybe using a
> drmaa="true|false" attribute).  <exec>'s current spawn attribute could
> be used to determine whether to synchronize with the termination of the
> grid job.  I think this would also give better control of stderr and
> stdout that the plain qsub method would.
>
> That's all you basically really need.  You can then use the <for> task's
> parallel attribute to run a number of GE tasks simultaneously.
>
> 					Chris

http://gridengine.info/

Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028