[GE users] Troubleshooting NIS errors (SGE 6.1u3 / Linux)

Christopher Heiny heiny at starband.net
Tue Jan 22 04:40:43 GMT 2008

On Thursday 10 January 2008, ground control picked up the following
transmission from Chris Dagdigian:
> Ken, Chansup, Reuti -- thanks for all your help

Chris,

Did you ever find a permanent solution to the problem, or are you still
using getent?

I've encountered it occasionally here, and it appears to relate to
whether NIS is working correctly when sge_execd starts up.  I've found
that if ypwhich shows there's no binding, then
    /etc/init.d/sgeexecd stop
    /etc/init.d/ypbind start
    /etc/init.d/sgeexecd start
will make the problem go away on that particular node.  Oddly enough,
simply bringing up YP again does not resolve the issue.

Of course, this may not work for you (especially if you have more than a
couple of nodes) and it isn't any kind useful solution anyway.  But it
is a clue as to what might actually be going wrong.

					Chris