[GE users] Troubleshooting NIS errors (SGE 6.1u3 / Linux)

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Tue Jan 22 13:55:04 GMT 2008

This is really interesting and may tie into an odd symptom we saw ...

A coworker of mine noticed that the NIS problems went away after
blowing away the SGE install and re-creating it from our autoinstall
templates. He scripted it so that the entire SGE install could be torn
down and rebuilt in a few seconds. It reliably "fixed" the NIS issue
during testing.

What this means to me is that all of the various Linux and NIS tweaks
we had made (with no positive effect) may have actually worked had we
been more careful about restarting SGE each time we made a change to a
NIS or system authentication/authorization setting.

We are still using getent at this point but we have added a new rule
to our informal body of knowledge:

  - Plan on restarting SGE (or just the sge_execd daemons) after any
NIS or auth settings are altered

Joe's comment about ncsd is interesting as well. I'll look into that.

Thanks!

Regards,
Chris