[GE users] comprehensive -l limit documentation

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Jan 23 15:53:39 GMT 2008

Am 23.01.2008 um 16:09 schrieb Alexandre Racine:

> Mmm, well is my syntax correct?
>
> In the bash file I have put this witch would ask for 20GB of memory.
> #$-l h_vmem=20G
>
> When launching the job, SGE sent the job to a machine with 14G free...
>
> qstat
> all.q at server1.com   BIP   1/3       0.12     lx24-amd64
>     400 0.56000 Merli racine      r     01/23/2008 10:10:05     1
>
> $ qhost
> HOSTNAME                ARCH         NCPU  LOAD  MEMTOT  MEMUSE
> SWAPTO  SWAPUS
> ---------
> global                  -               -     -       -
> -       -       -
> SERVER2                 lx24-amd64      8  1.13   30.4G    4.4G
> 1.9G     0.0
> SERVER1                 lx24-amd64      4  0.12   14.6G  769.1M
> 2.0G     0.0
>

> Can SGE use memory from another machine?

of course not, you would need such things like: http://
www.kerrighed.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page if you would have a need
for it.

In your setup h_vmem is for now only a limit per job, but not a
consumable per host which will SGE decrease and increase depending on
the submitted jobs on this machine. To do so, you would need to:

- make h_vmem consumable with a proper default consumption in the
complex definition (qconf -mc)
- give every machine a sensible default for the built in memory
(qconf -me <node>)

If you have it definied this way as a queue limit and an exec host
limit, the smaller one of the values will be taken for each job.

-- Reuti