[GE users] Help with resource quota sets

Roland Dittel Roland.Dittel at Sun.COM
Wed Jan 30 13:22:56 GMT 2008

Hi John,

jallen at it.uts.edu.au wrote:
> I think I found another display bug with qquota that only effects quota
> limits with more than one project in the projects clause (I havn't tried
> this with other types of consumers).
>
> {
>   name         project_slots
>   description  "divide the available daytime slots between projects"
>   enabled      TRUE
>   limit        projects show2,show3 hosts @r3, at r4, at r5 to big_slots=214
> }
>
> Basically the quota will be applied properly, but only some of the quota
> use will be accounted for in the output of qquota. Eg. The quota for
> show2+show3 would be reached (confirmed by counting big_slot use with
> qstat), but instead of showing 214/214, the output from qquota would be
> something like the following (is it possible that it is only counting one
> of the projects produce its output?):
>
> % qquota
> project_slots/2 101/214  @r3, at r4, at r5 to big_slots=214

Can you please copy and paste the full rule set and the qquota output
because there is some miss match between them.

At First the qquota output does not apply to the expected syntax, is
must be something like:

project_slots/1 big_slots=2/214 projects show2,show3 hosts @r3, at r4, at r5

At second the given qquota line is from the second rule of rule set
project_slots. Your example above has only one rule.

It's not possible that qquota only counts one project. The qquota client
does not count by itself it only outputs the qmaster data structures. In
your case you don't have a per project expression which means both
projects are debited in one rule.

Is it possible that you have extremely short running jobs? In this case
it could be that some jobs are already finished and undebited and
therefore not included in the output?

> This could be fixed by doing the following, which allows the quota counts
> to match the counts obtained by parsing qstat for big_slot usage:
>
> {
>   name         project_slots
>   description  "divide the available daytime slots between projects"
>   enabled      TRUE
>   limit        projects show2 hosts @r3, at r4, at r5 to big_slots=214
>   limit        projects show3 hosts @r3, at r4, at r5 to big_slots=214
> }

This definition has a different meaning than the above one. In this case
both projects can consume a value of 214 from big_slots at the same time
(428 in sum). By the definition above both projects together can consume
a amount of 214 from big_slots.

Roland

> Regards,
>
>   -- JA

Roland Dittel               Tel: +49 (0)941 3075-275 (x60275)
Software Engineering        Fax: +49 (0)941 3075-222 (x60222)
Sun Microsystems GmbH
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7       mailto:roland.dittel at sun.com
D-93049 Regensburg          http://www.sun.com/gridware
Registered Office / Sitz der Gesellschaft:
   Sun Microsystems GmbH
   Sonnenallee 1
   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
   Germany
Commercial register of the Local Court of Munich /
Handelsregistereintrag Amtsgericht Muenchen:
   HRB 161028
Managing Directors / Geschaeftsfuehrer:
   Thomas Schroeder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer
Chairman of the Supervisory Board / Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates
   Martin Haering