[GE users] Help with resource quota sets

Roland Dittel Roland.Dittel at Sun.COM
Thu Jan 31 08:33:42 GMT 2008

John,

that's a bug. You should never have negative usage. In some cases the
resource quota job debitation must be missing. Please create an issue
and we will take care about the bug.

Thanks
Roland

jallen at it.uts.edu.au wrote:
>> Can you please copy and paste the full rule set and the qquota output
>> because there is some miss match between them.
>>
>> Is it possible that you have extremely short running jobs? In this case
>> it could be that some jobs are already finished and undebited and
>> therefore not included in the output?
>>

> Hi Roland,
>
> Sorry for misleading you. There actually appears to be accounting issues
> even with a single project in each limit (the example I gave you was just
> a made up output to try and describe the problem). Here is a real example
> from the command prompt as I write (show names are generically renamed):
>
> There would be the occasional short running job, but these are rare and
> hardly noticeable when things are working properly. The situation I
> describe is ongoing based on many hours of monitoring.
>
> % qconf -srqs
> {
>    name         project_slots
>    description  "divide the available daytime slots between projects"
>    enabled      TRUE
>    limit        projects show1 hosts @r3, at r4, at r5 to big_slots=8
>    limit        projects show2 hosts @r3, at r4, at r5 to big_slots=40
>    limit        projects show3 hosts @r3, at r4, at r5 to big_slots=214
> }
>
> % qquota
> resource quota rule limit                filter
> project_slots/2    big_slots=-4/40      projects show2 hosts @r3, at r4, at r5
> project_slots/3    big_slots=68/214     projects show3 hosts @r3, at r4, at r5
>
> But there is actually hardly anything running:
>
> % python quota.py
> {'workstations': 2, 'show3': 9}
>
> The negative resource usage is difficult to request. But look what happens
> when some jobs start with -P show2:
>
> % python quota.py
> {'workstations': 2, 'show2': 20, 'show3': 9}
>
> % qquota
> resource quota rule limit                filter
> project_slots/2    big_slots=16/40      projects racer hosts @r3, at r4, at r5
> project_slots/3    big_slots=68/214     projects ruins hosts @r3, at r4, at r5
>
> Restarting the scheduler:
> % /etc/init.d/sgemaster stop
>    Shutting down Grid Engine scheduler
>    Shutting down Grid Engine qmaster
> % /etc/init.d/sgemaster start
>    starting sge_qmaster
>    starting sge_schedd
>
> And everything is okay again (!):
>
> % qquota
> resource quota rule limit                filter
> project_slots/3    big_slots=9/214      projects ruins hosts @r3, at r4, at r5
>
> % python quota.py
> {'workstations': 2, 'show3': 9}
>
> I hope this is better information than before. I still suspect this
> happens when a cron job flips the "enabled" flag on the RQS. Let me know
> if I can do anything to help diagnose why this would happen.
>
> Regards,
>
>  -- JA

Roland Dittel               Tel: +49 (0)941 3075-275 (x60275)
Software Engineering        Fax: +49 (0)941 3075-222 (x60222)
Sun Microsystems GmbH
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7       mailto:roland.dittel at sun.com
D-93049 Regensburg          http://www.sun.com/gridware
Registered Office / Sitz der Gesellschaft:
   Sun Microsystems GmbH
   Sonnenallee 1
   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
   Germany
Commercial register of the Local Court of Munich /
Handelsregistereintrag Amtsgericht Muenchen:
   HRB 161028
Managing Directors / Geschaeftsfuehrer:
   Thomas Schroeder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer
Chairman of the Supervisory Board / Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates
   Martin Haering