[GE users] 6.2 beta 2 on 10.5 Leopard: admin_user does not exist

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Tue Jul 1 19:48:43 BST 2008

Still testing but it does not look promising:

  - SGE 6.1u4 and SGE 6.2beta2 can't seem to handle LDAP users on OS X

  - Building from 6.1 source and patching as described in the
gridengine.info article no longer work

Right now I'm experimenting with appending LDAP user info into /etc/
passwd (failed with 'can't get password entry' so far) and maybe even
creating a fake /etc/shadow -- if that works I can easily make a
script that will scrape the LDAP users and generate the necessary
files. All because I don't want to back out of using Open Directory

I'm really missing the 'getent' and nscd tools one usually finds on
Linux systems here.

-Chris

On Jul 1, 2008, at 2:33 PM, Ian Levesque wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> I assume you're getting this error with the released (unpatched)
> 6.1u4? Do you know if your patches were merged upstream? Is the
> patched 6.1u3 working reliably? I'm just trying to find a solution
> for this cluster; at this time I'd be willing to use an older
> version, so long as it works.
>
> Cheers,
> Ian
>

> On Jul 1, 2008, at 1:30 PM, Chris Dagdigian wrote:
>
>> I just deployed SGE 6.1u4 today on a new Apple cluster and jobs are
>> failing with the:
>>
>>> "can't get password entry for user "cdagdigian". Either the user
>>> does not exist or NIS error!"
>>
>> .. the interesting thing is that jobs fail for the "cdagdigian"
>> account which is local to the systems and they also fail for the
>> "sgeadmin" account which is defined in LDAP/OpenDirectory
>>
>> I'm going to do some more debugging but the fact that jobs fail for
>> both local and LDAP accounts is concerning. I may build 6.1u4 from
>> source to see if any behavior changes.
>>
>> -Chris
>>

>> On Jul 1, 2008, at 1:16 PM, Ian Levesque wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all -
>>>
>>> After reading through the list and the helpful notes on
>>> gridengine.info, I saw that there were some caveats regarding the
>>> install of GE 6.1 on a OS X 10.5 cluster using OD for auth [1].
>>> But on wikis.sun.com I saw that 10.5 is supposedly newly supported
>>> in 6.2 [2]. So I downloaded and installed the 6.2b2 build on
>>> sunsource.net. The problem that I'm having is very similar to the
>>> one mentioned on this list back in February for version 6.1u3.
>>> These Intel 10.5 execution nodes are entering an error state
>>> (often after running jobs successfully several times) with qmaster
>>> reporting:
>>>
>>> 07/01/2008 12:45:22|worker|starbuck|W|job 37.1 failed on host
>>> gaeta.mcb.harvard.edu general before prolog because: 07/01/2008