[GE users] job summary info if mail is suppressed more

Patterson, Ron (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] patterso at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Wed Jul 2 16:05:43 BST 2008

Hello,

We are in the process of evaluating SGE (6.2beta2) as a compliment to
our current LSF cluster. Our evaluation has been going well enough that
we have asked some of our more savvy LSF users to send a few jobs
through the SGE cluster. One of the first bits of feedback I got was the
following question:

If a SGE user requests an email to be sent when the job ends (qsub -m e
...), a nice summary of the job is sent when the job exits which
includes a few useful stats and the jobs exit status. This info is very
similar to the info that LSF supplies as part of stdout when "bsub -o"
is used to define a stdout file. Is there a way to get this summary info
printed to stdout/stderr when a SGE jobs exits? Most of our users submit
many thousands of jobs so they will suppress any emails. It looks like
they have become accustom to parsing the stdout files produced by LSF to
collect info about their jobs as they exit.

BTW, we have already directed them to start looking at qacct, but I'm
wondering if there is a solution which will allow as little change as
possible in our users workflow.

Thanks,
Ron