[GE users] SGE+OpenMPI: ERROR: A daemon on node xyz failed to start as expected

Azhar Ali Shah aas_lakyari at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 3 18:50:59 BST 2008

Hi Reuti and Joe,

Having tried different installations and playing with different nodes I have come to know that if on any node I run a MPICH2 compiled porgram using Open MPI, I get following message:

[taramel:04844] *** An error occurred in MPI_Send
[taramel:04844] *** on communicator MPI_COMM_WORLD
[taramel:04844] *** MPI_ERR_RANK: invalid rank
[taramel:04844] *** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (goodbye)

Now if I uninstall the Open MPI using make uninstall and make clean, restart the system and install the Open MPI again, compile the program with Open MPI and then use the mpirun with Open MPI even then I get same error.

Though Reuti pointed out to followup error but I could not undertand how to get rid of it. This has left me wondering without sucess. Any thoughts please?

PS: I have checked the .rhost file for firewall related issues but it all seems OK.