[GE users] Help: Performance Test

Lee Amy openlinuxsource at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 09:52:19 BST 2008

Hello,

I built a small cluster with five nodes for the Bioinformatics Department of
my college. I've installed SGE 6.1 and set up integration parallel
environment properly. So I hope I can use some hints to exam whether SGE can
allocate the cluster resource perfectly. My main idea is following words.

Every node has two Opteron 270HE processors so the total slots are 20. What
if I submit some jobs which take up 20 slots or more without SGE, I can
record their individual job running time. After that, I resubmit these jobs
with SGE and do some regulation(e.g. priority), then I record the job
running time again. I suppose that the total running time should be smaller
if I submit them using SGE. Because I believe that if I submit these jobs
normally they must seize resources and every job cannot run well. But with
SGE, it can allocate resources for jobs requirement.

However, I'm afraid my idea is naive. So could anyone tell me some good idea
to have a test on SGE efficiency?

Thank you very much~

Regards,

Amy Lee