[GE users] Help: Performance Test

Lee Amy openlinuxsource at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 13:29:04 BST 2008

2008/7/7 Reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de>:

> Hi,
>
> Am 07.07.2008 um 10:52 schrieb Lee Amy:
>
>  I built a small cluster with five nodes for the Bioinformatics Department
>> of my college. I've installed SGE 6.1 and set up integration parallel
>> environment properly. So I hope I can use some hints to exam whether SGE can
>> allocate the cluster resource perfectly. My main idea is following words.
>>
>> Every node has two Opteron 270HE processors so the total slots are 20.
>> What if I submit some jobs which take up 20 slots or more without SGE, I can
>> record their individual job running time. After that, I resubmit these jobs
>> with SGE and do some regulation(e.g. priority), then I record the job
>> running time again. I suppose that the total running time should be smaller
>> if I submit them using SGE. Because I believe that if I submit these jobs
>> normally they must seize resources and every job cannot run well. But with
>> SGE, it can allocate resources for jobs requirement.
>>
>> However, I'm afraid my idea is naive. So could anyone tell me some good
>> idea to have a test on SGE efficiency?
>>

> the computing time should be the same. SGE will not speed up your
> computation, but will take care of transferring the jobs to the nodes, built
> an appropriate hostlist and so on.
>
> Unless you start your 20 slot job interactively only on one node and hence
> oversubscribe this node, you shouldn't see any difference.
>
> -- Reuti

> Thank you for reply. And you mean that I should submit jobs on the cluster
to take up whole 20 slots or more, right? But still I got puzzled, what if I
oversubscribe this cluster with SGE, I can just use the default options of
SGE and I needn't change anything, is it okay?

Furthermore, from your word I suppose that what I could have a performance
is just oversubscribe, is there any way to do test?

Thank you very much~

Amy