[GE users] File staging problem

Gerhard Venter gventer at sun.ac.za
Tue Jul 8 08:32:49 BST 2008

I am using SGE 6.0 and OpenMPI.  I am distributing my job to multiple
slots using a round robin mpi parallel environment - the result is that
each slot is on a different compute node, each with its own local disk
storage.  I would like to stage files from my home directory to the
TMPDIR on each compute node that MPI will use.  My submit script looks
something like this:

#!/bin/bash
#$ -cwd
#$ -j y
#$ -pe openmpi_rr 4
#
cp input.dat $TMPDIR
cd $TMPDIR
mpirun -np ${NSLOTS} $SGE_O_WORKDIR/mpijob

The cd $TMPDIR does change the pwd on each node to $TMPDIR (I print the
value for all slots from my mpi program), however, the files are only
copied to the first MPI slot (the master slot) and not the other slots
(the worker slots).  I have also implemented the prolog and epilog
scripts from

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/project/gridengine/howto/filestaging/

but with the same result.

Am I missing something?  Is there a way that I can stage input files for
all the slots that will be used in a MPI job?

Thanks,
Gerhard