[GE users] How to prevent 2 jobs of a specific user running on 1 node?

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Jul 8 13:53:03 BST 2008

Hi,

Am 08.07.2008 um 11:00 schrieb Stefan Becuwe:

> Is there a way to prevent that 2 jobs of some users run on the same
> node? Because of memory requirements of their jobs, if two of their
> jobs are put on the same node, they will fail.  On average, it's no
> problem however that a job from another user will also run on that
> node.  The easy way would be to allocate two slots (smp) (of which
> only one is used) to prevent other jobs from running on that node,
> but that's not efficient... Is it possible to achieve this using
> the "-l" switch?  That way, we could also avoid jobs with the same
> charateristics of different users to be put on the same node.

the cleanest solution would be, when each user requests the memory he
needs for his job. Hence oversubscription wouldn't occur any longer.

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?
listName=users&msgNo=24174

You can search the mail archive with the phrase "+h_vmem
+virtual_free" for more directions.