[GE users] Graphic cards processors

Aaron Turner aaron.turner at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed Jul 9 15:53:41 BST 2008

    [ The following text is in the "ISO-8859-2" character set. ]

Jacek Strzelczyk wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> If there is a possibility in the Grid Engine (or commercial SGE) to
> add a graphic cards processors as a computation resource? I would like
> to make some calculations on those processors. Can I make them
> available in some way through SGE?

I'm guessing the easier thing would be to make this a per-host
consumable resource of 1 GPU per machine as my understanding of the
compilers and access model for the GPU elements is that they are
effectively single-user cards. We have been looking at the cards
themselves and their utility, and it would be interesting to see how the
compiler support (possibly via Khronos?) develops and whether enough
codes get ported to the GPUs to make it of interest to our users.

Regards,

  Aaron Turner, University of York