[GE users] Queueing behavior when -q is not specified

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Sat Jul 12 21:23:06 BST 2008

On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 15:34 -0400, Lee-Ping wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm a system administrator for a small Beowulf cluster.  I just added a new
> queue to the cluster, but I don't want jobs to be allocated to it when users
> submit jobs without specifying the queue.  Currently, jobs without a target
> queue sometimes get sent to the new queue, and since the nodes in the new
> queue have a different OS, the jobs crash.
>
> How do I prevent my new queue from being used if the job does not request a
> specific queue?

I don't know if this answers your question directly,
but you could create a default queue setting in the
$SGE_ROOT/default/commons/sge_request  file

This means that if users do not specify a queue it will be allocated
this one, and if they DO specify one this will override the default.

Remember that there is also the switch to choose an architecture, eg
qsub -l arch=NAME   where NAME is the architecture returned by (for
example)  qhost