[GE users] Help: PE details

Lee Amy openlinuxsource at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 14:04:26 BST 2008

2008/7/12 John Hearns <john.hearns at streamline-computing.com>:

> On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 21:37 +0800, Lee Amy wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to learn the main idea and deep details about Parallel
> > Environment. Anyone can give me some hints?
> >

> Amy, the best way to learn about anything is by doing.
> In my case I was presented with an Opteron cluster and told "Install Sun
> Gridengine on that".
> I used the README files and documentation on the Gridengine site and
> achieved a working installation.
> I then took the examples for the MPICH integration and used them to set
> up a PE for MPICH. I would suggest you do the same - download mpich,
> install it on your cluster, and follow the Gridengine example to set up
> MPICH integration. We will help you along the way.

> Yes, thank you very much. I have set up MPICH and Open MPI integration PE.
And I also understand how to use them, some simple process such as start pe
and make a hostlist to allocate, use qrsh to start slave tasks then the stop
script clean processes. Anyway, I just know them a little indeed.

In fact the internal mechanisms is what I want. Could you show me some
pictures to make the mechanisms of PE more clear?

Thank you again.

Regards,

Amy Lee