[GE users] Queueing behavior when -q is not specified

Lee-Ping leeping at MIT.EDU
Sun Jul 13 15:09:40 BST 2008

You mentioned that the default setting in the sge_request file is replaced
by a command-line queue request.  However, Reuti said that a command line
queue request is appended to the default setting instead of replacing it.

Which is correct? (I would rather the default setting be replaced in the
event that a user does request a queue from the command line.)

For now, I will mention to my users that they should submit to the hostgroup
"@oldmachines" that contains all of the machines before the new queue was
added.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Hearns [mailto:john.hearns at streamline-computing.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2008 4:23 PM
To: users at gridengine.sunsource.net
Subject: Re: [GE users] Queueing behavior when -q is not specified

On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 15:34 -0400, Lee-Ping wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm a system administrator for a small Beowulf cluster.  I just added a
new
> queue to the cluster, but I don't want jobs to be allocated to it when
users
> submit jobs without specifying the queue.  Currently, jobs without a
target
> queue sometimes get sent to the new queue, and since the nodes in the new
> queue have a different OS, the jobs crash.
>
> How do I prevent my new queue from being used if the job does not request
> specific queue?

I don't know if this answers your question directly,
but you could create a default queue setting in the
$SGE_ROOT/default/commons/sge_request  file

This means that if users do not specify a queue it will be allocated
this one, and if they DO specify one this will override the default.

Remember that there is also the switch to choose an architecture, eg
qsub -l arch=NAME   where NAME is the architecture returned by (for
example)  qhost

For additional commands, e-mail: users-help at gridengine.sunsource.net