[GE users] SGE on latest Mac OS X Server 10.5.4

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Tue Jul 15 19:02:40 BST 2008

I wrote a quick and dirty perl script that will query the SGE
environment on an installed SGE Apple system and automatically
construct the appropriate XML .plist files that can be plugged into
the new Apple OS X "Leopard" launchd service framework.

The script is attached to a bioteam post here:

http://blog.bioteam.net/2008/07/15/sge-launchd-script-maker-for-apple-os-x-105-leopard/

launchd is the only thing we have that keeps SGE stable on versions of
OS X Server 10.5.4 and later. It seems to have completely removed all
of the mysterious:

- "can't get password entry for user "<username>". Either the user
does not exist or NIS error!"
- "admin_user "<username>" does not exist"

... errors that we'd see when starting SGE by any other means. Still
no idea what the root cause for that particular problem is.

Feedback welcome of course.

-Chris