[GE users] campus grid vs global grid

Anand Vaidya anandvaidya.ml at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 16:54:22 BST 2008

On Thursday 17 July 2008 21:27:44 Frédéric Bastien wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working in a lab at the University of Montréal. We are exploring
> the possibility to group the cluster with other labs in other
> university. To do so I taught using SGE, but I have a few question. In
> the user doc, it tell that SGE is made for campus grid but not for
> global grid. I will need the technical difference that this represent.
>
> - Do we need a global file system between labs?
> - Do we need a unique user id? user name?
> - No firewall?
> - Other limits/requirement?

For a true multi-administrative-domain Grid system, you definitely need a
middleware such as Globus. Plan for PKI too. You probably do not need global
shared filesystem since you can transfer job related files. (if that is
feasible). I would suggest GT4 since it is not that difficult to get started.

If you have many clusters in campus, and all users have uniform UID/GID, you
probably could have shared filesystems . Other wise users will have to
transfer files and submit jobs on individual clusters.

Most likely each cluster already runs its own job management software (PBS ,
SGE, LSF etc) and you will need to consider that too.

regards
Anand