[GE users] scheduling with multiple myrinet switches

Chris Rudge chris.rudge at astro.le.ac.uk
Wed Jul 23 15:50:42 BST 2008

Hi,

We currently have 64 nodes connected to a Myrinet switch - call these
"old nodes". We're about to add 16 nodes to the cluster which will
connect to a separate Myrinet switch - we happened to have some spare
Myrinet hardware - call these "new nodes".

My question is, how do I persuade SGE to schedule jobs to run only on
one type of node - old or new - but I don't care which it uses. Moreover
I want this choice to be transparent to the user.

Originally I'd thought about having an "old" queue and a "new" queue
each of which have the Myrinet PE available to them - naively assuming
that a job only runs in a single queue. However this won't work as jobs
are tied to PE's not to queues.

I don't want to use a second PE as the user then has to make an
arbitrary choice at job submission time about which group of nodes is
most likely to have cpus available first.

Is there a way I can set things up so that if, for example, the first
node used is "old" then every other node for the job has to be "old".

Chris

--
Dr Chris Rudge
chris.rudge at astro.le.ac.uk