[GE users] reservations

Chris Rudge chris.rudge at astro.le.ac.uk
Wed Jul 23 15:57:27 BST 2008

Hi,

Is there any harm in setting the default for all job submissions to
	-R y
??

I'm assuming that this is a bad thing if there are very large numbers of
queued jobs and if the maximum number of reservations is also set too
high.

We see, as you'd expect, that larger parallel jobs have difficulty
getting access to resources as small jobs always fill the gaps first.
Reservations (plus backfilling) should help to solve this but I want to
keep it transparent to the user - i.e. they shouldn't have to know about
specifying -R y|n.

The ideal situation would presumably be that reservations are enabled
automatically for a job larger than a certain size. I'm not aware that
this is possible - it'd be great if it were!

The remaining option seems to be to set '-R y' in the global sge_request
file letting all jobs make reservations but keeping the maximum number
of reservations fairly small.

Chris

--
Dr Chris Rudge