RE : [GE users] Re: RE : [GE users] making consumable not related to PE

GARDAIS Ionel Ionel.Gardais at tech-advantage.com
Wed Jul 23 21:32:34 BST 2008

> wouldn't this beat the purpose? you might end up running more than one process per HD!
I forgot to explain that the complex name litterally refers to the mount point of the HD.
But you are true : someone can request "data-1-1" knowing it's available but use files from "data-1-2" which can be used by another job.

> This could be tricky. You might need to elaborate on the what is
> "Running one job per disk" would mean?
> Is it that the job script's going to create/use files on a fs from disk?
Jobs run are very IO intensive and we do not have a clustered filesystem : just FC HD in direct connection.
That's why I do not want more than one job per disk to optimize IO (and job speed).

> There should be some info that would indicate that this job is using (or going to use) this disk.
Sure ! the base directory for data crunching.

> If this is there this could trigger the load script (custom load script) that reports the value to the host complex 'hds'
Huummmm ...
Could you explain this to me a bit deeper ? (my brain is somewhat ... disconnected :)
Does it mean that load scripts must not be launched by sgeexecd ?
How could one complex handle the logic of two HDs ? How can job B know that complex 'hds' is decremented because job A resquested one HD or the other ?
What happens if a job quit "unexpectedly" ? The complex is not updated back to it initla value.

Many thanks for your patience and your help,
Ionel

For additional commands, e-mail: users-help at gridengine.sunsource.net

    [ Part 2: "Attached Text" ]