[GE users] question for the allocation rules

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Jul 28 17:28:40 BST 2008


Hi,

Am 28.07.2008 um 18:21 schrieb Ryoji Takahashi:

> Hi,
> We are facing weird problem by $fill_up rules ...
>
> setting is following ...
>
> pe_name           mvapichfill
> slots             96
> user_lists        NONE
> xuser_lists       NONE
> start_proc_args   /home/sge/mvapich/startmpi.sh -catch_rsh  
> $pe_hostfile
> stop_proc_args    /home/sge/mvapich/stopmpi.sh
> allocation_rule   $fill_up
> control_slaves    TRUE
> job_is_first_task FALSE
> urgency_slots     min
>
> our machine is quad core, each nodes has 8 processors.  When we  
> submit two 4 processors jobs,
> $fill_up assigns from 0 to 3 for the two jobs ... two jobs collide  
> at the same processors.
> it looks like two jobs are filled out from 0 to 3.
>
> what could be solution for this?

this was recently on the Beowulf list. Please have a look at this  
thread:

http://www.beowulf.org/archive/2008-July/022484.html

-- Reuti


> thanks,
>
>>
>>
>> I would recommend picking a more flexible allocation rule:
>>
>> - If you want to force your jobs to only stay within one physical  
>> 8-core chassis then use "$pe_slots"
>>
>> - If you want to pack the parallel job on as few machines as  
>> possible, choose "$fill_up"
>>
>> - If you want to spread the job across as many machines as  
>> possible, choose "$round_robin"
>>
>>
>> -Chris
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On Jul 17, 2008, at 4:04 PM, Ryoji Takahashi wrote:
>>
>>> pe_name           mvapich8
>>> slots             96
>>> user_lists        NONE
>>> xuser_lists       NONE
>>> start_proc_args   /home/sge/mvapich/startmpi.sh -catch_rsh  
>>> $pe_hostfile
>>> stop_proc_args    /home/sge/mvapich/stopmpi.sh
>>> allocation_rule   8
>>> control_slaves    TRUE
>>> job_is_first_task FALSE
>>> urgency_slots     min
>>>
>>> ...
>>> our cluster's architecture is quad core ... so admin guy seems to  
>>> make strict to 8 processors per nodes.
>>> however, fill out rules solve this problem.
>>>
>>> thanks.
>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe at gridengine.sunsource.net
>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help at gridengine.sunsource.net
>>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe at gridengine.sunsource.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help at gridengine.sunsource.net


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe at gridengine.sunsource.net
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help at gridengine.sunsource.net




More information about the gridengine-users mailing list