[GE users] Execution hosts: Blades vs Individual Servers

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue Jul 29 11:51:48 BST 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 11:31 +0100, Neil Baker wrote:
> Hi GridEngine Users,
>

> I was wondering if anyone could recommend a manufacturer and machine
> type for our new grid?s execution hosts?
>

> Of course I can?t buy machines with these CPUs in them anymore.  When
> buying a new machine with either dual core and quad core CPUs I have
> no idea how to compare them against what we have.  I?ve heard that
> although they don?t run as fast as 3GHz,

>From an Intel Harpertown node:

processor       : 7
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 23
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5472  @ 3.00GHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 2992.496
cache size      : 6144 KB
physical id     : 1
siblings        : 4
core id         : 3
cpu cores       : 4

> they are in fact more powerful for floating point calculation, so
> would they process the jobs faster even though running slower?
You're talking about the cache sizes and front side bus speeds here,
rather than raw CPU speeds.

The sweet spot at the moment certainly seems to be quad core Intel.

> From what I?ve read and various stats I?ve seen, benchmarks show how a
> Dual Core CPU is more powerful than a single core machine for running
> one application (i.e. a game or a particular benchmark), but I can?t
> seem to find any data on how well they work at running one application
> (job) per CPU (i.e. 2 jobs on a dual core, or 4 jobs on a quad core).

You should try to get access to a sample system to try your own
applications on.