[GE users] Execution hosts: Blades vs Individual Servers

tmac tmacmd at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 01:08:57 BST 2008

Sounds like what I have....

My older machines were all dual cpu w/ hyperthreading and 4 Gig of
ram. I think they wer older 533Mhz FSB type with Xeon processors.

On those machines "4" processes could fill a 1 - gigE pipe.

When the new systems came in, they have 2 x quad-core cpus and 16GB or ram.

Since I knew the throughput of 4 jobs could fill a 1 gig pipe, I decided to:

1. Use RHEL5-64 bit and utilize XEN as part of RHEL5
2. Make two guests, each guest containing 4 CPUS, 7.4Gig of RAM and 1 GigE
(each GigE is on a different VLAN to prevent routing issues)
3. Kickstart the whole thing

My kickstart: installs a system with XEN, partitions two LVs for the
guests, creates a "runonce" script
that, upon reboot creates the two XEN guests. Unfortunately, I have
not scripted a process to watch for the
guests to terminate themselves (during the first reboot of a XEN
guest, it actually "powers off") and then restart them.
However, manually restarting them will then finish the install and
install the Grid software.

This config works real well. The new hardware is 4-5 times faster now.
Between using 64-bit OS's and more RAM, the faster CPU's really help.
The "clock" speed may be the same, but the Front side bus and all the
interconnects are significantly faster
than all the old stuff.

hope this helps...

--tmac

RedHat Certified Engineer #804006984323821 (RHEL4)
RedHat Certified Engineer #805007643429572 (RHEL5)

Principal Consultant